Plots and Schemes

By Christopher Zoukis

On November 16, 1994, Terry Nichols drove to Las Vegas.  He rented storage space into which he placed wigs, masks, panty hose, freeze-dried food and $60,000 worth of gold bullion, silver bars, and jade.  Peter Langan, Leader of the ARA / Image courtesy

Meanwhile, McVeigh had gone to Pendleton, New York, on November 7.  His grandfather had died and McVeigh was settling the estate.  This required about a month of McVeigh’s time.  During this month, McVeigh told his sister that he had begun robbing banks.  Which meant he was connected to the ARA.  He also indicated to his sister that someone who was supposed to have been murdered had not been murdered.  Obviously, he was referring to Roger Moore.  Guthrie was supposed to have killed Moore after he robbed him.  That was part of the deal.  Guthrie had not lived up to his end of the bargain.

On December 11, 1994, McVeigh and three members of the ARA – Scott Stedeford, Kevin McCarthy and Peter Langan – were all in Overland Park, Kansas.  The only conceivable explanation was that the conspirators were meeting, finalizing their plans for the Oklahoma City bombing. 

On December 15, just four days later, McVeigh was back in Kingman, Arizona, where he took some of the explosives from storage and loaded them in the trunk of his car.  He then drove to Council Grove, Kansas. 

In the middle of January 1995, Terry Nichols took everything out of the Las Vegas storage space and loaded it in the back of his pickup.  He then drove to Junction City, Kansas, where he met up with McVeigh.  They traveled to gun shows for about ten days.  On January 31, 1995, McVeigh arrived at the Belle Art Center motel in Kingman, Arizona.  He was alone, but not for long.  Soon a steady stream of visitors began visiting McVeigh’s room. 

During this same time – February 3 to 8 – the ARA was camping in the nearby desert. 

On February 16, 1995, McVeigh went to the True Value hardware store in Kingman, Arizona.  He bought 100 pounds of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and 600 pounds of ammonium phosphate.  Meanwhile, the ARA was staying in Mesa, Arizona for three weeks.

On February 21, 1995, an ammonium nitrate-fuel oil bomb exploded near the house of Francis ‘Rocky’ McPeak, just outside Kingman, Arizona.